We don't advertise on Young Merchants Club
Student work is private
We use the latest security industry best practices to protect you and your information and content
We assume that teachers or schools get parental consent before using Young Merchants Club (YMC) with children who are under the age when they can grant consent on their own. This age may vary based on where you live. You should check your local laws to determine the relevant age in your country. Parents or guardians can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child’s information at any time. If you are aware YMC is collecting information from a student without parental consent, please contact us immediately at and we will delete the data.
We suggest that you get parental consent for our program via a school-wide technology consent process you may already have in place.
WHO DOES YMC COLLECT INFORMATION FROM?
Teachers,, students and schools may create accounts on YMC. We also collect limited log-data from all visitors to our marketing website.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES YMC COLLECT?
Account Information: When teachers or school administrators create an account on YMC we collect your name, email address, password, and profile picture. YMC may also collect your phone number if you enter it in your Account Settings.
Students cannot create an account by themselves, but must be invited by a teacher or school administrator. Where students have permission to use YMC, YMC collects personally identifiable information about them including their names, email addresses, and profile picture. This information may be entered by a teacher or the student .
Learning Content: YMC also collects content that is added to a class or student lesson. This content may be photos, drawings, files, notes, hyperlinks, and other ways of documenting student learning. We regularly add types of information that can be uploaded to a lesson and these are all covered by this Policy. Content that is uploaded by a student or teacher may be considered a student education record.
Messages: YMC collects messages that are sent and received in YMC by teachers and students.
Communications: YMC collects any information you send to us directly, such as email communications.
Log Data: When you use YMC, we receive log data such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, device information, and your mobile carrier. In addition, we may receive or collect additional information such as the referring web page, referring search terms, and pages visited. If you are using YMC as a teacher or administrator, YMC may use your IP address to determine your approximate location for the purposes of sending you customized marketing and other information about our products.
HOW DOES YMC USE THIS INFORMATION?
We only use this information to provide our services to you. For example we use this information to:
• Allow you to access and use our service by verifying your identity and storing your Content, Activities, and Messages.
• Provide teachers, schools, and family members with customer support.
• Notify you about activity on and updates to your account or your child’s account (if you’ve indicated in your account settings that you’d like notifications).
• Research, understand, and analyze trends of users to improve and develop new features for our products.
• Promote enhancements to YMC relevant for teachers, families and schools.
• Investigate, prevent, and detect activities on our service that we believe may violate the law or applicable regulations. We may, at the request of a school, investigate accounts to determine whether they comply with school policies.
You can withdraw consent for the collection of your personal information at any time, and also opt-out of marketing communications from us.
IN WHAT LIMITED CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YMC NEED TO SHARE MY INFORMATION?
We do not sell or share any data you provide with third parties except in the limited circumstances detailed below:
• We use a small number of third-party services in order to operate and improve YMC – for example a data center operator that manages our servers or a notification service that helps us send you messages about your account. These services need access to your personally identifiable information in order to work (i.e. your email address is required to send you email), but are contractually prohibited from using that information for any other purpose other than to provide the YMC service. In cases of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU individuals received pursuant to the EU-US and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield, YMC is potentially liable.
• YMC may disclose your information to a third party to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or a valid legal request - including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law.
• YMC may disclose student account Information and Content to the child’s school district upon request.
DO YOU WORK WITH THIRD-PARTY ANALYTICS SERVICES?
YMC is constantly improving, and we use aggregate data about how YMC is used -- for example what buttons you click on or what pages you visit -- to inform those decisions.
To help us analyze this data, we use a small number of third-party services (such as Google Analytics). In no circumstances are any data you have shared with YMC (such as your Account Information or Content) shared with these services. In addition, these services are contractually obligated only to use data about your usage of YMC to provide analytics services to us and are prohibited from sharing it or using it for other purposes. If you do not wish to participate in Google Analytics, you may download the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your web browser that allow us to identify your web browser and store information about your account. We use these cookies to keep you logged in to YMC, customize your YMC experience, understand how you use YMC, and promote YMC to relevant teachers and schools.
You can choose to remove or disable cookies via your browser settings. Please be aware that YMC will not work properly if you disable or decline cookies.
HOW DOES YMC HANDLE ABANDONED ACCOUNTS?
YMC will delete an account and all content associated with the account if the account has not been accessed for 4 years. Prior to deleting an abandoned account, YMC will notify the teacher or school associated with the account by email and provide an opportunity to download an archive copy of the level.
HOW TO DELETE YOUR YMC ACCOUNT
If you would like to delete your YMC account or any content submitted to YMC please send an email to If you request that your account or any content submitted to YMC be deleted, YMC may still retain information for up to 60 days to provide customer support and prevent accidental deletion.
HOW DOES YMC HANDLE DATA FROM INTERNATIONAL VISITORS?
YMC Service is hosted and operated in the United States and is subject to United States law. By default, any personal information that you provide to YMC will be hosted on servers located in the United States. By using this Service, you consent to the transfer to and processing of your personal information in the United States. If your school or district has purchased YMC for Schools, your school or district can choose to store all data associated with your YMC for Schools account in a different supported country. By participating in YMC for Schools you consent to allow your school or district to determine where to store all your data. Please contact your YMC for Schools administrator to find out where your data is stored.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, YMC is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
YMC’s accountability for personal data that it receives in the United States under the Privacy Shield and subsequently transfers to a third party is described in the Privacy Shield Principles. Pursuant to the Privacy Shield, YMC remains liable for the transfer of personal data to third parties acting as our agents unless we can prove we were not a party to the events giving rise to the damages.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, YMC commits to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal information transferred to the United States pursuant to Privacy Shield. European Union and Swiss individuals with Privacy Shield inquiries or complaints should first contact YMC by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.